Friday, March 28, 2008

First Semester Results

were finally announced last weekend. Yes, in the middle of March. I went to school at 10am for the announcements, which took FOREVER. They called all the kids who passed (50%, or a 10 on our 20 point scale) out of the classrooms by class and announced all their names. Sadly, only about half of the kids made the cut. They were announced from first through the last kid and the first 3 from each class got to come up and shake the Principal's hand as well as some important guy from the Rural Development Committee in Timbi (hereafter referred to as Important Guy - IG).

It was a little funny because when I got there I just took a seat and was waiting. I neglected to notice that at some point all the women around me got up and moved to a special section, so I was left right next to the RDC guy and the principal! It's always amusing that I get treated as a man here. Anyway, over the course of an hour and a half we get from 7th grade up to my kids, the Terminale classes. And right before they are announced, the IG gets a phone call. And does he look embarrassed and turn his phone off? No, he answers the call, scoots by me and goes out to the middle of the courtyard to talk. I was so angry, I couldn't believe how rude he was. The Principal made some announcements to try and pass the time, but after about 10 minutes was forced to continue the ceremony without him.

Here's the thing. First of all, Guinean kids are hardly ever recognized for their work and this was one of only 2 opportunities during the whole year to celebrate those who make an effort to learn. Second, only 10 minutes prior to his getting up, he was telling me that Guinean students are lazy and don't try and don't want to learn. How can you expect kids to want to learn and to respect you if you don't treat them with respect and celebrate their achievements? Ugh, I just wanted to punch him. But since that wasn't a possibility I settled for leaving without saying goodbye to him. It just put such a damper on the end of the ceremony, which was pretty pathetic to begin with. It is so difficult to be a Guinean student.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home