Friday, March 28, 2008

Exercise

I've been kind of a fatty lately. I decided that I'd be able to have self-control if I sent all my treats from my suitcase in Conakry up to Timbi. Turns out that I don't have any self-control. They are almost all gone. But at least they are making me feel guilty, so I've been exercising a lot lately (including the bike ride to get to Labe this morning!)

My missionary friend invited me to do Tae Bo with her, she has a TV and works out at 7am every morning. I went there yesterday for the first time and it was kind of surreal to be kickboxing in Guinea! But fun. Apparently Billy Blanks is a big-time Christian (did any of you know that? I didn't. Somehow that strikes me as really strange...) and he has a Tae Bo video called "The Believer's Workout." Dee said it was a little funny for her to exercise to it, so I can only imagine how funny it will be for me to do it!! I'll let you know how it turns out. Do praying and Tae Bo go together? Can I pray that my arm jiggle will lessen? I'm just not sure about that.

I've also been running, which I am enjoying more and more as it gets easier. I also think it's hilarious when the ladies clap for me as I pass by them. The other day 2 old Guinean men shouted out, "Congratulations! You are courageous!" to me as I passed them. They must have been 100 years old, but they gave me the biggest toothless grins. It's so heartwarming to gather up so much goodwill as I jog along (running is a bit of an overstatement). I was worried that people would think it was strange, or that my sleeveless top and cropped tight pants were inappropriate, but they seem to love it. Plus, knowing people are watching me inspires me not to collapse on the ground next to the nearest tree. And 2 days ago I got caught in the first rains of the year - I hadn't seen rain in Guinea since November-ish. It was just so exciting. Camilo's friend told him that God sends an early rain to wash all the dust off the mangoes. I tend to believe the scientific explanations for rain, but that didn't make it any less fun for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home