Friday, October 06, 2006

150 kids in a class? No problem.

Hi everyone - so I got my teaching schedule. I'm teaching Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 10-1. So easy, right? Umm, except that I'm teaching up to 150 students per class!!!! That's going to be insane. School starts on Monday and I'll update and let you know if I'm in danger of getting whack-evaced.

Sarah and Devan stayed with me 2 nights ago and we had a great time, I'm also getting screens put on my windows ASAP - already found the guy and bought all the materials. That bird isn't getting back in my house! Anyway, yesterday morning the mail run came to my house and brought me my bike and my mail and packages. It was better than Christmas. Mom, Rebekah/Lydia and Arlene all sent packages and I dumped everything out on the floor and really almost cried a little. Now my trunk is filled with American goodies and I ate a tuna sandwich for lunch today and I couldn't be more thrilled. Yay for them!

Once I got my bike and put my trashy magazines away, I got on the bike and went 35k to a nearby site. The amazing girl who showed me around during site visit has decided to go home and I went to her site to hang out and say good-bye. She also left me a spatula and some other nice things. It's really too bad that she's going, but I can understand. I think that it's really hard for extensionists i.e. the non-teachers to find work to do and I can see that it would get discouraging. Anyway, so I biked out there and we had a good night hanging out and drinking disgusting amounts of Crystal Light that she had. This morning I went to another girl's site with a friend and then we all biked back to Mamou. I've biked 70k in 2 days! My butt is going to be incredibly sore tomorrow. Tonight I'm looking forward to being along in my house and reading the magazines I now have. Jen, Brad, Angelina and TomKat will keep me company this evening.

Oh, shoot. I have to go. The guy who runs the computer place needs to go break his fast - it's Ramadan and everyone is hungry. Everyone but us Christians! Apparently Christians here fast during Lent, but that will not be me. Can you imagine teaching 150 kids with an empty stomach and no water? No thanks.

I'll update again soon, it's so nice to be at site and have internet. Now I just need furniture, screens and the ability to control 450 students for 9 hours a week and I'm set.

Miss you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home