Friday, August 11, 2006

One last thing

I need you all to remember this...

I am safe. I will stay safe. Guinea is safe for me. I am safe here.

The President is sick. If something happens there is a plan. If we need to leave it will happen quickly. If there is a strike again there is a plan.

I know that some of my friends' parents and friends are nervous about them being in Guinea, or Africa in general. I would like to think that my friends and family are much more worldly and understand that Africa is just another place in the world. But we got word today that the President has left the country, which probably means that his health is failing. He was in Switzerland a few months ago. Since I'm headed back to Forecariah tomorrow and won't have internet again for a few weeks, I thought it would be useful to remind everyone not to worry about me. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part - that you are all cozy in America with your cable TV and dollars and Chipotle thinking about me here in Guinea!

Anyway, I'm safe. And will stay that way. One of the perks of being here on the US taxpayer's dime is that the Embassy keeps track of us. It wouldn't be so bad to get evacuated to Mali or Senegal - I'm sure we could have a good time. There's beer in all countries, even the Muslim ones, and we all have dance mixes on our ipods...

1 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Jen,

I just came across your journal about your adventures in Guinea. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Features:
1. Contains over 1,400 journals and blogs from Peace Corps Volunteers serving around the world.
2. Each country has its own detailed page, which is easily accessible with a possible slow Internet connection within the field.
3. The map for every country becomes interactive, via Google, once clicked on.
4. Contact information for every Peace Corps staff member worldwide.
5. Official rules and regulations for current PCV online Journals and blogs. Those rules were acquired from Peace Corps Headquarters using the Freedom of Information Act.
6. Links to Graduate School Programs affiliated with Peace Corps, along with RPCVs Regional Associations.

There is also an e-mail link on every page. If you want to add a journal, spotted a dead link, or have a comment.

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home