Saturday, August 30, 2008

Long time, no post

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted, I apologize to those of you (are you out there?) who still faithfully read the blog!

After Girls Conference Camilo and I headed to Forecariah to help with training. One of the great things about training is that it's tediousness prepares you for life in Guinea. One of the terrible things about training is how tedious it is! Luckily I don't have to attend all the sessions so I have been averaging a nap a day. And it's been raining enough that my sweating has been minimal. The new group is awesome - we are all so impressed with them. They have great attitudes, are handling everything well and are exceptionally cool people. While I'm sad that I'm not going to be here to enjoy them, Guinea is in great hands.

Our site visit was from Aug. 14-21st and I took Luke (my replacement) up to Timbi. Lucky guy. We had dinner with the missionaries one night, with our new Swiss/Spanish/Guinean couple friends (did I write about them? If not I will, they are hilarious and awesome) another and a PCV stayed with us the first night. I also introduced him to all my people in Timbi - the telecenter guy, the market ladies, my neighbors and guard and some of the people at the school. We met up with the principal in Labe and he looked almost teary saying good-bye to me! I didn't feel too emotional, actually, even though it was my last trip to Timbi. While it was sad to say good-bye, I'm ready to go and have spent so much time away from there this summer that it already seemed like I'd moved out.

Since returning from site visit we've all been busy with Practice School. For me that means that I watch trainees teach for 4 hours a day. In Simple English. Doing lessons I've already taught at least twice. I've been reading quite a few books...and I have so much more respect for my students - the terrible wooden desks are killing my butt and back! No wonder they'd make excuses to leave the classroom, I'm doing the same thing to give my (increasingly old!) body a rest!

Last night we had sangria and banana pancakes at the Volunteer house (as opposed to the houses where the trainees live with families, the official PCVs have graduated to having our own place). It was delicious, but after reading my Morocco Lonely Planet it just didn't hit the spot...I am having scarily erotic fantasies about tagine. Soon, soon.

Tomorrow Cam and I head back to Forecariah until Thursday. I'll post again when we are back at the end of the week!

PS - We are currently streaming Obama's acceptance speech. I can't wait to vote. But I wish he'd calm down his anti-free trade rhetoric and hope that's just pre-election pandering. Free trade is good for all countries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home