Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Nita



My grandma Nita died on Thursday.

My grandma and grandpa met when she was 27 and he was 31. He told me that he was broke because he'd just gotten back from WWII. He wanted to get married, but wasn't sure how they'd survive. She told him she had some money from teaching and that they would just have to "make a go of it." Their 58 year love affair created four children, 11 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. At the funeral I was looking at my family and thinking about how amazing it was that 2 young adults who fell in love managed to create so many other wonderful people.

She died 24 hours after I arrived, alone in her room with just my grandpa. After 58 years of marriage, he got to be the one to hold her hand and say good-bye.

We should all be so lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home