Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Things I am excited about...

I've been spending too much time worried about what I'm doing and how on earth I'm going to get everything ready and get moved to Wisconsin, etc. I even had a dream the other night that a friend from UNC was at my house to pick me up to leave for Guinea and I hadn't finished packing! I had to pack really quickly and give my mom the order form for the Chaco sandals that PCVs get a discount on...

So here's what I'm excited about, in no particular order.

In Wisconsin
  • Spending time with my family.
  • Going to Minneapolis to see my brother, his girlfriend and my dear friends Julie and Ky
  • Eating food off Heidi's china in her grown-up house
  • Going to the grocery store
  • Being on the lake
  • Finally organizing my finances, crap and life
  • Not paying rent for a month
  • Having cable and a big TV
  • Not working for a month
  • Driving a car
  • Going to the YMCA
  • Finishing all the packing and purchasing I have to do before I leave at the end of June

In Guinea

  • Meeting new friends, both Guineans and other PCVs
  • Learning French and a local language
  • Being outside all the time
  • Running, bike riding and generally being more active
  • Learning how to cook with few utensils
  • Finding a community and a home to call my own for 2 years
  • Figuring out how to teach English
  • Starting a girls' club to encourage girls' education
  • Going to the Girls' Conference that the PCVs put on every year with a girl from my community
  • Learning more about West African politics, problems and culture
  • Not seeing George Bush on the news every day
  • Weaning myself from my celebrity obsession
  • Deciding where I want to apply to graduate school
  • Traveling around Guinea
  • Traveling during and after my service - going to Zanzibar, Kilimanjaro, Morocco, Egypt and South Africa!

So that's what I'm excited about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home