Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My Peace Corps Timeline

Since the Peace Corps is notoriously disorganized, don't assume that my experience is even remotely similar to other applicants' experiences. Here's what happened with me...

June 6, 2005 - Took my LSAT in Newark.
June 7, 2005 - Realized I didn't want to go to law school.
June 10, 2005 - Printed out Peace Corps information from the web site to read while taking the Chinatown bus to DC for a friend's wedding reception.
June 11, 2005 - Went to wedding reception at friend's apartment. Talked with interesting people. Realized that banking and law are not the only 2 career paths. Got drunk.
June 12, 2005 - Decided to apply.
early July, 2005 - Completed application. Heard back from Melissa in the NY recruiting office immediately. Had interview a few days later. Was nominated the day after my interview for Francophone Africa, June 2006, TEFL.
August, 2005 - Received medical and dental packets. Went to doctor's office and she was wonderful. Filled it all out at no cost to me.
August 24, 2005 - Went on date that lasted until 4am. It was a Wednesday.
August 25, 2005 - Got wallet stolen on the M105 bus. Went to dentist. Found out that I am a tooth grinder and had cracked my enamel and had 3 cavities. I'd never had a cavity before. It was a bad day.
Late November, 2005 - Finally got all cavities filled. Sent in dental and medical forms. Received dental clearance within days.
December 23, 2005 - Got "placement clearance," although I still don't really know what that means! Found out that Peace Corps needed more medical information.
December 28, 2005 - Went home to Brooklyn after Christmas in Wisconsin. Peace Corps Medical needed an updated HIV test.
January 5, 2006 - Forgot to go to doctor for HIV test.
January 6, 2006 - Remembered to go to new appointment. Test negative for HIV.
January 7, 2006 - Send test results to Peace Corps.
January 27, 2006 - Toolkit is updated to "Your invite is in the mail."
January 31, 2006 - Invite arrives. Is to Mauritania - the one country I'd told my recruiter I wouldn't go to in Africa.
February 1, 2006 - Turn down invitation. Email reasons and hope for new invite.
February 4, 2006 - Toolkit is updated again. A new invite is in the mail!
February 6, 2006 - New invite arrives! It's the fastest the Postal Service has ever delivered a letter to me. It's to Guinea - leaving June 27 - and I'm thrilled.
February 7, 2006 - Accept new invite.
February 14, 2006 - Start looking for long, cheap skirts online. Email mom to ask her to please pick up 2 skirts I found at Wal-Mart's online site. There is no Wal-Mart in NYC. Added bonus is that I don't have to feel like I'm supporting Wal-Mart and their shady corporate policies since mom will be doing the purchasing. Realize that I'm just feeling better because of a technicality.
February 15, 2006 - Decide I should start a blog. Realize I'm looking forward to wearing Wal-mart skirts and working in Guinea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home