Monday, September 24, 2007

La Campagne

I've been staying at the hotel in Labe for so long that the owner jokes that it's chez moi...my house. We went to Timbi yesterday to see what, if anything, had happened to the latrine. We discovered that it has officially flooded over (I chose not to go see what that looks like) and that they aren't going to build a new one. They said that it would go back down after the rainy season and that I should just wait 2 months until that happens. In the meantime I was welcome to use my neighbor's bathroom. While that is generous on my neighbor's part, it is not a solution to the problem. While Boiro tries to talk to them about finding me a new house, I'm back in Labe.

Yesterday we were joking about how I'm now Assistant Regional Coordinator (or is it Assistant TO the Regional Coordinator for those of you who watch The Office?) My new job is to try and organize the office here in Labe. There are about 1,000 books that were taken from people's sites and need to be catalogued - plus about 8 shelves worth of resource materials that need to be organized. That should keep me busy for a few days. Then Beth arrives and I'm going to go with her to site - it's always more fun to organize a house with a buddy there! After that I'm headed back down to Conakry to do some work before going to stay with Camilo for a week or so. They just announced on the radio that classes aren't starting until October 22nd, so I have quite a bit of time and just can't bear to spend it in Timbi until my housing mess is taken care of.

Life is pretty boring here in Guinea for the time being - I'll keep you all posted with the details if I don't think they'll put you to sleep...

3 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger HFrank said...

Please tell me that you are going to employ the Dewey Decimal classification system!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, get busy with that Labe library STAT!
I wanna see shiny binder labels, a color-coordinated card catalogue and a separate section for books about Dalaba. There should be hundreds!
So sorry I can't be there to keep you company. Good thing you've got Camilos site to go to!
Can't wait to see everyone on Thanksgiving. . . and have a whole room of bunkbeds to myself in Conakry.
But seriously, the volunteer house must seem like a haunted mansion, even when everyone IS there.
Sorry for such a long comment!
Lemme know if you want anything from the States!!
Much love my Foxy Fellow Fouta-er!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Myrtle said...

This is when your para skills will come in handy . . . I'm in arbitration hell right now and all I'm doing every night until 4am is make binders. Makes your shit filled toilet story not seem so terrible does it? Of course, I am staying in a $500/night hotel . . . miss you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home