Monday, April 02, 2007

Holy Week aka Slutty Teens on Parade

Yesterday was Palm Sunday, the official kick-off to Holy Week here in Spain. There were about a zillion people roaming about and a ton of parades to watch, but the most interesting thing was watching the teenagers. When did teens get so slutty? Honestly, it was incredible. The girls were wearing the tightest pants and shortest skirts and highest heels. And it was cold and rainy!

While I've been gone, the mullet apparently came back in style. The young men in Seville take their gel and hair products seriously. Additionally, girls have what can only be described as a uniform - tight, white shorts cut like pants, either nylons or tights underneath, sleazy top and poorly tailored blazer. Top that all off with some sparkly heels and matching purse, as well as some chunky highlights and Barbie make-up. I was telling Cam that I forgave a lot of horrific outfits in Guinea because the options were so limited. So what's the deal here? When did that become an okay outfit to wear to church? And when did I get so fricking old?

Actually, I almost lost a year of my life today. Once I turn 26 next week I no longer qualify for the cheap train tickets or any kind of discount. But the lady who sold us our Eurail passes tried to convince Cam and I that I was actually turning 27 and didn't qualify for the discount...and the worst part was that I questioned (for a split second...) how old I was!!!

At any rate, the parades were fun and the wine was cheap and I will now associate KKK hoods with Seville as well as the KKK. Poor Catholics - having their costume idea stolen really ruined the image of the hoods for a lot of people.

Okay, we are off to Lisbon - a train to Madrid and an overnighter to Portugal.

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Dean Bresciani said...

Jen--we really need to get you out more; not sure its just Spain! What, have you been living in the jungle or something for the ...uh... oh yeah, guess you have.

Did you by ANY chance get a big care package from Texas? My bet was it would get intercepted but thought I'd try; did airmail to minimize the hands on it, but didn't hold my breath.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Oh, Dean!! What a bummer, cause I didn't get it - they actually shut down the postal service in Guinea for a month or so. Man. It was so amazing of you to send something in the first place! I'll pretend that the next candy bar I eat here in Europe came from your package...

Yeah, I guess you are right. It just makes me feel so old and stuffy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home