Friday, March 16, 2007

Almost to Morocco

I recovered from the mystery illness and Camilo and I had a lovely night in Tergit - it was this oasis of palm trees and water in the middle of the Sahara and lived up to our expectations. We were there on Tuesday and were the only tourists, which made it even cooler. We slept on mats under a tent and didn't even freeze our butts off because we were in a valley and it stayed warmish...now that I get cold when it's 80 I have no concept of temperatures.

We woke up and packed up and headed back to Atar, beginning 24 hours of travel. It was a bitch. We took a car (sat in the back of a pick up with an impossibly old man) to Atar and another to Choum, where we waited for the train. We ate some overpriced sandy, rocky rice and sauce and hung out with some people. I played with this baby and then the mom asked me to give her my skirt!! That just pissed me off - what did she possibly think I would say? We piad to sit inside the train instead of riding on the coal, but they sold too many tickets and we spent most of the 13 hours trying to sleep in a tiny hallway on top of our backpacks.

Our first stop in Nouadhibou was a cafe for pain au chocolat and fresh orange juice. We also used the incredibly clean bathroom to brush our teeth and clean up a bit from the dirty journey. Then we called a married couple who are PCVs here and they immediately invited us to stay with them and turned on the hot water heater for showers. Cam and I have been amazingly fortunate in that the Mauritania PCVs have been cool as hell and incredibly nice to us. After a day of relaxing and doing laundry yesterday, we planned to leave for Morocco today. However, we went out for Chinese food (fried noodles with shrimp and spring rolls, I was in heaven) and drank a lot of wine and watched some Lost and it got late and we decided to stay another day. Erin and Sam are a good time and don't seem to mind hosting us, so here we are. We walked to the ocean and bummed around all day. Our car to Dakhla leaves tomorrow at noon (so anytime before 5pm) and we really aren't sure how long it will take to get to Morocco. I'll keep you all posted - it's gonna be a long, long ride, but I can't wait to see the semi-developed world again!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home