Wednesday, December 20, 2006

So you agreed to be in G13...

Friends and family - this entry will be super-boring for you. I just wrote this to a girl leaving for Guinea in January. Hopefully it can be of some use, to someone. If you have any questions, you can find me on Facebook. My list is pretty girl-teacher specific. Sorry. Happy packing!

PS - I censored the curse words.

Recommendations:
tank tops with built-in bras
bras that you won't get sick of in 2 months
lots of underwear, I love my Pink ones from VS and they don't seem to have stretched out much
skirts to the knee and below, but nothing that will get too hot if possible, cause it's gonna be f%^king hot here when you arrive
gym equipment - if you have space. I packed an exercise ball and jump rope and resistance bands and am really happy I did.
food - tuna, shrimp, chicken pouches. sauce packets for pasta. any junk you like. spices - cajun, basil, oregano, curry, italian seasoning, cinnamon. you will use them. I packed cheese packets from mac and cheese and they are a nice treat too.
kitchen gadgets - garlic press, paring knife, peeler. the peeler and knife are key. also measuring cups.
also - assume you'll have electricity when packing. I left some stuff at home and am mad about it cause I have electricity *most* nights. like ipod charger, rechargeable batteries, etc.
i wear my 2 old navy polo shirts all the time, but I wear them to teach. Pack few things with long sleeves, you'll never wear them.
a good rain jacket and a lightweight umbrella
chacos - do you know about the PC discount?? it's on the PC yahoo group and they are 50% off. they are amazing and necessary.
running/trail shoes, but not hiking boots. too hot and heavy.

s&*t I should have left at home:
some of my long sleeve shirts and also shirts that show sweat too easily. you'll sweat your a$$ off, especially in forecariah.
a tape recorder and tapes
my fleece, although I'm glad I have a sweatshirt. I also have one pair of sweatpants and wore them a few nights in mamou - the fouta does get cold.
mesh shorts /short shorts- can't wear them during stage but you will wear them in the privacy of your own home/hut at site. I have one pair and should have brought 2.
bring multiple small toothpastes and shampoos, etc. or just plan to refill the shampoo bottles. but you'll be traveling often and will want to minimize the amount of crap you carry.

Also - for Philly/coming to Guinea, I recommend the following:

1. DO NOT CHANGE TO GET OFF THE PLANE. It is useless. You will be disgusting in 10 minutes and it will be a waste of a clean outfit.
2. Bring a lot of cash cause ATM cards are useless here. Also keep anywhere from $50-$100 with you and don't leave it in the safe in Conakry - you probably will want to get more stuff than you have money during stage. The allowance is crap. You can change money on the black market in Conakry and it's easy, but you won't have access to money in the safe until the end of stage. *Disclaimer* - changing money is illegal and against PC policy.
3. Ignore the weight allowance. I travelled with 2 55 pound bags with no problem. Pack an extra cheap duffel bag in one of your bags. I've heard rumors that people got charged but have never met anyone, I think it's a PC myth.
4. Pack for your first 4 days in Mamou in Philly. Even if you just leave it all in a certain section of a suitcase, make sure it's easily accessible. The Conakry house is gonna be insane and it will be so much easier for you to have everything together.
Slips - again, maybe cause I'm a teacher, but I wear the two I have almost every day, it's much easier to wash them than my skirts. Plus it's not good to be able to see through skirts here. Knees are like boobs to Guineans.

I'd recommend that you also tell your fellow folks about the above stuff when you are in Philly, I promise it will make the first couple days way easier!! You'll meet me right away cause I'm in Mamou, where you'll spend the first couple days.

To those of you joining us, we are really excited to meet you all! I'll be in Mamou when you get there. Assure your parents that you are in good hands. The PC really takes care of us and we all really take care of each other.

1 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Liz Roderick said...

so helpful, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home