Thursday, November 02, 2006

Back in Mamou - Ramadan is overrated

So I made it back to site in time for the Ramadan fete and I have to admit that it was way overrated - everyone kept on building it up to be this big thing and it just wasn't. I ate some rice and soup sauce with chicken with my host family and then made them some pasta for dinner, which was all they ended up eating. I was a little confused, but I think that maybe they don't have any money and they couldn't afford a big meal. Who knows?? Anyway, it was a relaxing couple days and I spent a lot of quality time with the hammock I bought in Conakry.

Last Thursday my friend Kelly came to visit for the weekend - she's in a tiny village teaching at a middle school and her experience is so different from mine - it's probably similar to what PC was in the 60s. She has a radio at site but no cell phone, email, etc. She hadn't spoken English in a month, except to curse the bats that invaded her house. Ick.

I had 2 weeks off from teaching and was itching to get back to it - these kids have a lot to learn and everyone says that once the hot season rolls around in Feb - April no one wants to do anything.

A topic that maybe my mom will find of interest, in case no one else does...

Why does Guinea, one of the least developed countries in the world, have one of the lowest ET rates (early termination, when a volunteer peaces out)?

I think about this a lot, and here's what I've come up with.

1. Guineans are genuinely nice and helpful people. They have had PC around for a long time and have a lot of respect for it, and Guinea hasn't been victim to misappropriated donor funds like some countries, so there isn't a sense of entitlement or a lot of Guineans asking for money, etc.

2. Guinea is one of the last countries in the world where a person can have a PC experience like that in the 60s - living with few other Americans around and little communication alternatives. Obviously this doesn't apply to me, but even my situation is less posh than others' situations in other countries.

3. Everyone is poor, so it doesn't matter that we are. I think this might be the biggest one. Everyone here is poor. Even the rich people couldn't afford a one bedroom apartment in the Bronx. So that puts us all on the same page. Obviously there are small differences, but there isn't a rich class and there's barely a middle class. For example, if I were in Jamaica or Belize and saw a lot of wealthy tourists or expats I'd be constantly reminded that other people have money to go to expensive restaurants and TVs and cars and whatever. Here the most expensive restaurant in country has a $16 brunch. That's the most expensive food you can buy. It's easy to be happy with little when the people around you are in the same boat.

So that's why I think Guinea has such a low ET rate. We haven't lost anyone from our group, which is unusual. Hopefully we can keep it up and I haven't jinxed us!

The group coming in January is starting to get their invites - once they come I'll already be a sophomore!

I'm going to try and remember to take some pictures of my house and family and friends here to load at Thanksgiving. Keep the emails coming - it's always great to hear news from home!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home