Saturday, November 18, 2006

Thanksgiving and a little slice of America

Guinea has something like 75% of the world's bauxite reserves, but due to the political situation and lack of infrastructure it goes largely unmined. That is not true in the upper Basse Cote, where Cam's site is. We got to Boke yesterday and today came to Kamsar, a magical place. I bought Kraft Mac and Cheese, olive oil, Skittles, a bottle of wine for Thanksgiving and a bottle of Bailey's for Cam's birthday. It's amazing here - I'm glad I don't live near it cause I would be broke all the time!

We also have the confirmed arrival of the Thanksgiving turkey. It is sitting in the freezer in the Boke regional house and Cam, Ben and I almost shed tears of joy when we saw it! I'm trying to think of a traditional side dish that I can prepare using ingredients found in Guinea. Hmmm. I might end up making some rice and sauce. We tried to find cranberry sauce today but had no luck. But Thanksgiving is going to be great and I'm looking forward to talking with my family. In the spirit of being cheesy, I really do have a lot to be thankful for and am looking forward to taking a day and celebrating that.

In other cheesy news, I am following the TomKat wedding to the degree I can. Maybe it isn't a sham after all??!!

Special shout-outs go to Jeni and Arlene for the lovely packages, they really made my month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home