Saturday, August 05, 2006

In Conakry for a night!

Hey everyone - I got to the internet before my mom had a chance to update the blog with my letter info, but hopefully she'll do that soon...*cough* Mom, get on that. I didn't write 8 pages for nothing!

So here's what's going on chez moi, in no particular order.

1. My site for the next 2 years is Mamou, where we spent our first 4 days in country. It's gorgeous there and everyone is jealous. It's truly an amazing location because it (drum roll please) HAS INTERNET! In two places. Which is NOT common. I'm also going to be getting a cell phone, so those of you who were happy to have me fall off the face of the earth can stop partying. It's even in the Lonely Planet Guide.

2. My family is awesome. I am really enjoying my homestay and wrote a lot about it in the letter my mom will post. My French is definitely getting better and I'm actually enjoying myself, which is rare for training. It's tough to live with a family and have class from 8-5 every day, but so far I've been really happy. It will be nice to cook for myself, though...rice and sauce is good, but not that good. :)

3. This week is Site Visit Week, so tonight my whole group is in Conakry and we head to our sites tomorrow. I'll get to meet the principal at my school and see my house. It should be really big because the Peace Corps told the people in Mamou that they had to provide me with a big enough house to have people stay with me. Mamou is the gateway to the rest of the country and there will be a LOT of people coming through.

4. While I love Guinea, I don't want any of you to come visit. It's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here. We'll meet somewhere if you want to see me and can't wait for my return to the US of A.

5. My friends are amazing. I still miss all of you dearly, but am truly feeling lucky to have such a great group of 30 to have this experience with. And I might be going with a friend to Ghana in November - his mom is going to present at a UN conference and I might tag along...of course I'll keep you posted.

6. If you want to send me something (and I love all of you who have asked what I would like...), here's some ideas:

Chocolate - M&Ms, KitKat, anything
Sauce packets that just need water, guacamole mix (avocados are amazing and 20 cents), the cheese from mac & cheese
Jelly Bellys
Any pictures you have of yourself, me, anything
Magazines, the trashier the better
Tapes
Salted almonds
Tuna pouches
Ricotta and spinach tortellini
Skittles, Starburst, Swedish Fish
Loofahs, toothpaste

But any news from home would be appreciated too!

7. I'm running out of internet time, but please email me and let me know what's going on! I'm really excited to have internet at my site. Just know that I'm happy, healthy (except for a bout with amoebas, but they are gone now) and am really adjusting well.

Hopefully I'll get to update again soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home