Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Small Miracles

Here are the things I'm grateful for, in no particular order:

  • Internet. I'm sitting at an NGO that allows PCVs to use the internet for free. It's 5km from town, but well worth the bike ride. And I can switch the keyboard to English, so that makes it even better.
  • My new house. I'm moving next Thursday to a new house. It's on a quieter street and is beautiful and I love it. When I get pictures I'll post them - I have a nice porch and a guardian and a well and an indoor toilet and shower and a couple bedrooms. There's even a few couches and chairs! My boss Mohamed is a gem for making it happen.
  • The American missionaries. I have met the most wonderful people. There are two missionary families here in Timbi. One of them has 2 daughters, an infant and a 2 year old. The other ones have 4 kids, ranging from 1 to 8. They are truly adorable. The parents are amazing, too. I'll have to avoid giving them the blog address so they don't read my gushing! At any rate, it was so easy to talk to them and they are funny and friendly and fantastic and exactly what I need here.
  • My attitude change. I'm finally settled here. I'm happy to be here. I feel comfortable and excited about the year.
  • My students. There aren't many of them, but they want to learn and are really friendly. My Terminale class only has 3 girls, so I'm hoping to have them over to my house for review sessions where they don't have to deal with the boys.
  • Having space to run and bike.
  • Lettuce and carrots and yogurt. I don't even like carrots in the US.
  • All the traveling plans we have - Egypt and hopefully Ghana, Burkina, Benin and Togo next summer and Morocco with my mom and Aunt Diane next September. What a good time.

Anyway, things are good! I knew the adjustment would take a little bit of time, but I'm glad it's over. I'm starting to learn some Pulaar phrases and have been studying French, so hopefully it's just a matter of time before I'm really integrated. Market ladies love nothing more than a white girl who can speak Pulaar, even if it's only 10 words!

1 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Nils said...

Greetings from Denmark!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home