Saturday, January 06, 2007

Reuter's article about the strikes

From Reuter's South Africa:

CONAKRY (Reuters) - Guinea's two most powerful unions called on Wednesday for an indefinite general strike from next week to protest against the increasingly erratic rule of ageing President Lansana Conte.

Previous nationwide strikes have been over the price of basic goods and fuel, triggering widespread rioting and bringing the West African country to a standstill, but the latest planned action appeared to be the most overtly political yet.

The unions said the stoppage, called across the whole country from January 10, was to denounce Conte's "repeated violations" of the country's basic laws and would continue until the rule of law was restored.

"We're putting on the table all the demands both of our supporters and of the population at large," Ousmane Souare, one of the main union negotiators, told Reuters.

"We've gone beyond the limit of what is acceptable."

Union leaders cited Conte's personal intervention last month to release one of his former allies, who had been arrested in a corruption probe, as well as the constant reshuffling of his cabinet which they said undermined his credibility.

There was no immediate reaction from the government, whose officials were unavailable for comment.

Guinea is the world's top exporter of bauxite, the raw material for aluminium, but most of its people live in poverty.

A stumbling economy, rampant corruption and powerful but fractious military have raised fears of instability in a country once seen as a bulwark against wars in neighbouring Sierra Leone, Liberia and Ivory Coast.

The deteriorating health of Conte, a reclusive diabetic in his 70s who seized power in a 1984 coup, has heightened nerves, raising the prospect of a dangerous power vacuum in the former French colony as rival factions compete to succeed him.

He personally secured the release of former ally and Guinea's richest man, Mamadou Sylla, in December along with a former central bank deputy governor, an act which the unions said rode roughshod over state institutions.

Last week he revised a cabinet reshuffle apparently under pressure from one of the rival political cliques vying to succeed him, presidency sources said. It was the second time in 2006 he had abruptly overturned his own cabinet reshuffle.

"There is no longer a State. You have the impression that when he signs certain documents he is not completely lucid. It's a scandal," opposition spokesman Mamadou Ba said. "It's shaming for our country."

I'm sure this will all seem real once the strikes start, but I have to admit that even here in Conakry none of this affects my life. I have medicine, enough money (yes, $80 a month is actually enough to live on, even though I can't buy furniture with it), a support system, and a job. So maybe this one will be bigger and scarier, but so far it's just business as usual for me. Some people who were here for the last strikes said that the news of the strikes didn't even make it to their villages until after they were over!! Oh, communication in Guinea.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jen,

Someone from Spain sent me your blog link because of a common interest we have in an oil based investment related to The Rep. of Guinea.

I live in Beavercreek, Ohio and my parents live in Waukesha, WI, and I have many relatives in Wausau, WI. I love your state. So, your Ohio to Wisconsin connection made me smile.

My interest in Guinea started about three years ago when I purchased some stock in a small company called Hyperdynamics, located near Houston. HDY is the american stock exchange symbol.

I'm curious if you have heard of this company and their vast oil/gas concession offshore The Rep. of Guinea?

The company is doing some pr work in Guinea and in my opinion could provide the biggest economic change to Guinea in the history of the nation...hopefully in a positive way. My take based on everything I read is that Guinea is slowly evolving to become more democratic and capitalistic. They seem to moving to more transparency, although HDY had problems in the summer of '05 that led to the stock crashing and things falling apart with their primary asset, the Guinea concession.

Why is this so important? From my standpoint, I hope to make millions of dollars on the HDY stock. From Guinea's side, the likely BILLIONS of barrels of oil would bring in more money than that country has ever seen or imagined, if it's found reasonably soon and produced. There is an astronomical amount of natural gas expected to be found about 60 miles offshore...enough to power guinea and the bauxite industry for a long time. HDY has the largest W. African offshore concession. So, this $2 stock could literally go to hundreds of dollars per share within 5 years.

Guinea got great terms with HDY and ultimately would get 60% of the proceeds from high production areas...obviously this is potentially billions of dollars.

The area to explore is so vast, that just the 1/3 of it exclusive to HDY represents about 60 large exploration areas. Many of which could contain a billion barrels or more at just one target within each block.

If HDY succeeds, things will change in Guinea over the coming years. I have three daughters 9, 6 and 4. It's hard to imagine them graduating from college and doing what you are doing. Be safe and keep up the great work.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Rasa Vella said...

Jen,
Hey girl I'm glad your in Conakry for the strike. Mamou alone or at least not it a compound would have sucked. I toughed out the last strike alone in Dounet and not so much fun but thank goodness for the World Cup.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and let you know things here are going well, slowly but surely putting together a life that somewhat resembles "normal". I do wish we could have been neighbors for longer then 48 hours and I hear rave reiveiws on what an awsome addition to the Fouta you are...like I needed someone else to tell me that.

The selfish side of me hopes you all get evacuated so I can talk to you guys more readly on the phone (for thouse who decide to come home) and at the same time I hope it clears up so everyone can finish their service and contiue the great work you guys are doing. Well I'll keep checking your blog let me know how things are.

Cheers,
Rasa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home