Friday, February 09, 2007

What's a girl to do? (subtitle: bureaucracy is a bitch)

So my last post was very zen - I was accepting of my situation and hopeful that I'd get my way. Sadly, that does not appear to be the case. Boo.

First things first - Guinea news. The word in Mamou is that people are gearing up for a fight on Monday and will be taking to the streets. The same information is coming out of Conakry. The President still hasn't named a Prime Minister and he was supposed to do so before Monday. So people are pissed and the strikes will start again on Monday if he doesn't. To me this means there is no chance that the conditions I listed in my last post will be met by the Friday deadline. But the PC still hasn't given us the official word that the program is suspended - I am not exactly sure why, but it's making it difficult to plan my next steps.

Today I spoke with a PC employee from Senegal who came here to talk to us and she said she thinks that my only option if I want to start over this summer is to immediately fly home to my official Home of Record. That would be Wisconsin, folks. Not ideal. She didn't seem to think I could a. turn in my ticket for a refund b. change the date of my ticket c. travel outside the US while on administrative hold or d. basically act like a grown-up. Simply because the PC will continue to provide my health insurance they may put me in time-out in Wisconsin. I feel like a child. I asked her if I could forfeit my ticket and just pay my own way home and she said she thought that would be grounds for administratively separating me. Kind of like the PC version of AWOL.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that they are starting to say no - I do work for the government and they have lots of rules.

At any rate, I'll keep everyone posted and will definitely tell you if any of my plans get a "yes" from PC Washington. If all my plans get "no's" I will be in the States in 2 weeks. Eek.

Get your guest bedrooms ready!

1 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Smatt said...

Hey Jen,

There was a PCV from another West African/North African country who went AWOL when we were doing our service. He was already in the middle of E.T.ing when he just decided to take a taxi out of town. He visited several countries and used an alias (Peace Corps sent memos to all the Peace Corps offices around the area looking for him, you see). He showed up in Guinea, confessed his story to one volunteer (thus allowing the entire PCV group in Guinea at the time to know the story) and then traveled some more. He arranged with his family to fly him home, and he went into the Peace Corps DC branch to check out. Probably not the best thing in the world, but certainly not the worst.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the situation with Peace Corps. Very frustrating. Thanks for the blog updates!

smatt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home